Monday, June 20, 2011

Homemade Jam (Sort Of)

I've been wanting to make jam at home for a while now. I love the stuff, but grocery store and mainstream brands just have too much sugar (or worse, high fructose corn syrup), and the organic varieties cost too much for a family on a budget. So when I saw an easy recipe in this month's Real Simple, I decided to give it a try!


It was so quick: just a bag of frozen, 100% berry blend fruit (the recipe called for fresh blueberries, but I used what I had on hand, lemon juice, sugar, and salt. It cooked for a total of about 30 minutes, including a gentle cook for the first five minutes or so (to soften the frozen berries) and a near boil for the remainder of the time.

It turned out fantastic! So yummy!

1 comment:

  1. It looks great!! A good blog for canning is Food In Jars, she has so many ideas. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope your husband is better. Jake was infantry back in '04-'05 even though he had trained as a tanker for years. They needed men over there so they just said, "oh, you're infantry now" and sent them over. *sigh* Anyway, his PTSD is so bad that he's been medically retired from the Army and is not allowed to work by the VA because his anxiety levels around other people are so bad. We try and have a lot of fun inside our own home though, and try to visit relatives as much as we can. Life is hard sometimes but I'm so thankful that the vets coming home are getting the care the vets from Vietnam never received. Anyway, sorry to sound like a debbie downer. :) I'm jealous you guys got to go to disneyland. I haven't been since I was a small child and would love to go again, although, I just want to go to the wizarding world of harry potter. Is that in Orlando? That would be so cool.

    ReplyDelete